ID/Title: Our Lady Of Peace House
Date: 1918-1919, 1977
Description: Our Lady of Peace House (OLPH) was established by the Sisters of Mercy of Erie, Pennsylvania for young women who were coming to Erie to work in the munitions factories during WWI. They were replacing the men who went to war. Most of the boarding women did manual labor at General Electric, Hammermill, and Erie Forge and Steel Company.
Several boarders of the house later entered the community and became Sisters of Mercy. One of these women was Sister Mary Laurentia Hefferen. Sister M Laurentia, who was motherless, lived at the OLPH from 1918 to 1926 while finishing her schooling and working in the factories. She joined the community in 1926.
OLPH continued to serve as a boarding home until 1961.
Source: Erie Regional Community Collection
Additional Information: © Mercy Heritage Center, Sisters of Mercy of the Americas